Change in Construction Schedule – Addition of Sunday Day Shift; Extension of Night Shift
Neptune Terminals has received approval from the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority to extend an existing evening shift and add a Sunday daytime shift to carry out construction activities for the following projects on its site:
- Neptune Cargill Overpass Extension (PP 17-131) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week excluding Statutory Holidays until December 31, 2019
- Coal Capacity Project (PP 12-066) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week excluding Statutory Holidays until February 29, 2020
- West Quadrant Shiploader Amendment (Permit 12-066-01) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week excluding Statutory Holidays until February 29, 2020
- Berth 1 SPW installation and Dredging (PER 18-02) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week excluding Statutory Holidays until February 29, 2020
The Sunday shift is required to enhance safety conditions for our workforce and contractors, and to allow better access to Berth 1 for marine construction. It is expected that it will also have a beneficial effect on the community by helping us to maintain the overall project schedule.
To mitigate potential community impacts:
- Noise will be continuously monitored by noise monitors around the construction site, ensuring noise levels stay within prescribed City of North Vancouver (CNV) bylaws.
- Pile driving noise will be mitigated by maximizing the use of a vibratory hammer. Impact, diesel hammer will be used minimally, and only during daytime construction hours, complying with CNV noise bylaws and the Port Authority permit.
- Directional LED lights used for construction will be directed away from residential areas to minimize the impact on neighbours.
- Construction activities on the evening shift (8 pm to 7 am) are restricted to those that are anticipated to have low impacts to the surrounding community. For details of these activities, please refer to previously posted construction notices on our website.
Should there be updates to the activity or schedule for these projects over their duration, they will be posted on our website and emailed to our e-distribution list.
If you have any questions or concerns about construction activities or other operations at Neptune, please do not hesitate to contact us at the email above or call 604-983-7935.