Neptune Terminals is committed to protecting the environment and minimizing the impact of our operations on the community.
We try to balance conserving water use with keeping products on our terminal, we treat dry water before it leaves the site and we reduce noise as much as possible from our rail tracks. We are proud that our measures meet or exceed compliance with Port Metro Vancouver and the BC Ministry of the Environment’s standards.
All of our senior management are responsible for environmental management and sign our Environmental Policy.
Reducing our Impacts
We employ the latest technology on our mobile equipment to reduce emissions and minimize noise and light impacts on the community.
- We use automated electric railcar positioning equipment, known as an electric indexer, as an alternative to using a locomotive for our coal railcars
- Our N-ViroMotive engines are Ultra Low-Emission Technology locomotives used to move potash rail cars on Neptune’s loop tracks. This engine uses 25% less fuel, with lower noise and significantly less emissions.
Overall Impact Since 2011
- 3% reduction in absolute emissions
- 21% reduction in emissions per tonne of cargo shipped
- 27% reduction in natural gas use
- 17% reduction in fuel use per tonne of throughput
- 24% increase in throughput
We have been part of the North Shore for many decades and plan to contribute to the growth and prosperity of our community for many more to come. Learn more about the environmental protection measures Neptune Terminal’s takes for our products and the issues that concern our neighbours.
- Environmental Systems for Products (steelmaking coal, potash, canola oil and phosphate rock)
- Air Quality Management
Neptune Terminals is committed to protecting the environment and minimizing the impact of our operations on the community. Neptune is a Climate Smart™ certified company. Climate Smart works with companies to help measure carbon emissions and plan for emission reductions. Neptune has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 21 % per tonne of cargo shipped. This has been achieved by investing in new terminal vehicles, replacement of aging boiler with new high efficiency model, programmable thermostats in buildings and improved building and pipe insulation to reduce heat loss.
Neptune is committed to continually measuring and reducing our greenhouse gas emissions See Neptune’s Climate Smart™ Seal Agreement