Neptune Terminals is committed to protecting the environment and minimizing the impact of our operations on the community.
We try to balance conserving water use with keeping products on our terminal, we treat dry water before it leaves the site and we reduce noise as much as possible from our rail tracks. We are proud that our measures meet or exceed compliance with Port Metro Vancouver and the BC Ministry of the Environment’s standards.
All of our senior management are responsible for environmental management and sign our Environmental Policy.
Reducing our Impacts
- We employ the latest technology on our mobile equipment to reduce emissions and minimize noise and light impacts on the community.
- We use automated electric railcar positioning equipment, known as an electric indexer, as an alternative to using a locomotive for our coal railcars
- Our N-ViroMotive engines are Ultra Low-Emission Technology locomotives used to move potash rail cars on Neptune’s loop tracks. This engine uses 25% less fuel, with lower noise and significantly less emissions.
- Because we are rail based we have a minimal impact on our community’s road network.
We have been part of the North Shore for many decades and plan to contribute to the growth and prosperity of our community for many more to come. Learn more about the environmental protection measures Neptune Terminal’s takes for our products and the issues that concern our neighbours.
- Environmental Systems for Products (steelmaking coal, potash, canola oil and phosphate rock)
- Air Quality Management